Office Phone: 678-625-1202
Mobile Phone: 678-313-4607
Elected to the Board of Commissioners in 2016.
Ronnie Cowan was born in Covington and raised in Rockdale County After graduating from Rockdale High School in 1976, he attended DeKalb College where he received an AA degree in 1979.
In 1979 he began his career as a police officer with the City of Covington. Cowan continued his education at Georgia State University receiving a B.S. degree with honor from the College of Public and Urban Affairs in 1982. Cowan was promoted to Lieutenant and served as shift supervisor and later as the department's first accreditation project manager where he managed the City of Covington Police Department's first two accreditation's by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc.(CALEA) in 1985 and 1990. Covington was the first police department in Georgia and the 10th in the nation to receive accreditation.
By 1990, Cowan was in his second year of law school at Georgia State University and he was appointed the HR Director for the City of Covington. He received his JD degree and was admitted to the State Bar of Georgia in 1993. Cowan worked with the City of Covington for a number of years and went into private practice of law in 2005 where he worked as a civil trial lawyer. In 2007, he returned to the City of Covington and served as its Administrative Services Director. Cowan retired from the City of Covington at the end of 2016. He currently practices law in Covington.
Boards & Accomplishments
- Admitted to practice in United States District Court, Northern District; Georgia Supreme Court; Georgia Court of Appeals; Georgia Superior Courts
- Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies, Inc, Assessor 1990 to 1998
- Georgia Local Government Personnel Association, Member 1991 to 1999
- Newton County United Way Board Member - 2000
- Northeast Georgia Alternative Dispute Resolution Office, Civil Dispute Mediator - 1996 to 2017
- State Bar of Georgia - Local Government law and Real Estate law sections
- Newton County Solid Waste Authority Board member
- Industrial Development Authority of Newton County member
- Certified County Commissioner