Thomas Lloyd Kerr was born and raised near Decatur in the North DeKalb area but later moved and graduated from South Gwinnett High school in Snellville. He earned a Bachelor’s Degree from the University of Georgia and went on to enjoy several different careers. At the age of 40, Lloyd decided to return to the University of Georgia earning a Master’s Degree.
After completing his Master’s degree, he began his career in government as a planning technician, in Fayetteville, Ga., as a principal planner with Newton County and then by the City of Covington as a Planning Director. In 2007 Lloyd moved to Pensacola Florida after been offered a Planning Director position with the Escambia County government. In 2014 he moved back to Georgia to return to work with Newton County as the Planning Director. In January of 2016, Lloyd was appointed as Interim County Manager and ultimately appointed as permanent County Manager for Newton County in August 2016.
Lloyd and his wife, Lindy have six wonderful children and 8 beautiful grandchildren; who are the loves of their lives, for which they are extremely proud, grateful and are truly a blessing.
In his spare time, Lloyd enjoys spending time with family, fishing, hunting, being in the great outdoors, and tinkering with machinery.
Lloyd is also quite the handyman as he stays busy with the home that he built from the ground up. Each weekend he looks forward to working on one or more of the numerous construction projects and additions his has planned for their forever home.
"I enjoy calling Newton County my home. I serve with pleasure and strive everyday to make Newton County the Best in Class on all levels." Newton County has a small town personality with a BIG City mentality. Here are a few things to consider when looking for your next place to call home.
- Niche ranks Newton County as #13 Most Diverse Counties in Georgia.
- Newton county is also ranked #42 for Best Counties for Young Professionals and Healthiest Counties in Georgia.
- Per the last census Newton county average median income was $52,784
- The current population of Newton County is 105,042
- The 2018 Newton County High School Graduation rate was 87% which bested the state average.
- Newton County 2018 Graduates earned and estimated 40 million dollars in scholarships.
- American Water Works Association named Newton County "Best Drinking Water in the State" and also earned a Water Resources Gold Award for the 3rd Consecutive year.